What is YouTube?
YouTube is one of the most popular video sites in the World today. YouTube is a video-sharing website which has its headquarters in San Bruno, California, America. YouTube was founded in 2005 by three former PayPal employees – Jawed Karim, Chad Hurley and Steve Chen. The website was later bought by Google in November 2006 for the price of 1.65 billion US Dollars.
YouTube was the first large-scale video sharing site on the Web, available in nearly every country and over fifty different languages. YouTube is now one of the most popular sites on the Web, with visitors watching around 6 billion hours of video every month. Anyone can upload content on youtube using PCs, laptops, tablets and via mobile phones, which makes for an utterly astonishing array of watchable content.
Logo of YouTube
Logo of YouTube was changed previous year as the company decided to give the renovate the previous logo by shifting the focus away from the word “Tube” onto the play button. The new logo of YouTube icon comprises of a red tube with a white screen and a red play button – followed by the YouTube wordmark in black.
Click here to Download youtube logos
- The first YouTube video was uploaded on 23 April 2005.
- The total number of people who use YouTube – 1,300,000,000.
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute!
- Almost 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube every single day.
- YouTube gets over 30 million visitors per day (27 Billion Per Month)
- In an average month, 8 out of 10 18-49 year-olds watch YouTube.
- The total number of hours of video watched on YouTube each month – 3.25 billion.
- 10,113 Youtube videos generated over 1 billion views.
- 80% of YouTube’s views are from outside of the U.S.
- The average number of mobile YouTube video views per day is 1,000,000,000
- The average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes. This is up with more than 50% year-over-year.
- Female users are 38% and male users are 62%.
- User Percentage by Age 18-24 – 11%, 25-34 – 23%, 35-44 – 26%, 45-54 – 16%, 50-64 – 8%, 65+ – 3%, unknown age – 14%.
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
- YouTube overall and even YouTube on mobile alone reaches more 18-34 and 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
- The number of hours people spend watching videos (aka watch time) on YouTube is up 60% year-over-year, the fastest growth we’ve seen in 2 years.
- You can navigate YouTube in a total of 76 different languages (covering 95% of the Internet population).
- YouTube has launched local versions in more than 88 countries.
- 9% of U.S small businesses use Youtube
- Approximately 20% of the people who start your video will leave after the first 10 seconds.
How to Use YouTube?
What are the main uses of YouTube?
- People can search for and watch videos
- Anyone Create a personal YouTube channel
- Users can Upload videos to your channel
- Users can run advertisements on their videos
- Like/Comment/share other YouTube videos
- Users can subscribe/follow other YouTube channels and users
- Create playlists to organize videos and group videos together using “Add to Watch Later” Section
- Users can watch latest trending videos according to their location
- YouTube provides a collection of various youtube apps personalized according to users needs
YouTube offers a variety of different apps according to users need. Following are the apps offered by youtube:
YouTube Company Financials
- The Annual cost of running and maintaining YouTube is $6,350,000,000.
- Google’s annual revenue generated from YouTube is $4,000,000,000.
- Youtube generate 6% of Google’s ad sales revenue.
- Since 2007 YouTube has paid $1,250,000,000 to rights holders.
- Google paid $1,65 billion for YouTube in November of 2006.
- The World highest paid YouTube stars earned a combined total of $127 million in 2017. This is a huge increase compared to $54.5 million in 2015.
- The highest paid Youtube partner is Daniel Middleton – DanTDM with annual income reaching $16.5 million for 2017.
- The youngest YouTube star Ryan Toys Review who is 6 years old who is six years old made $11,000,000 in 2017.
- The number of channels earning six figures per year on YouTube is up 50% y/y.
- The number of advertisers running video ads on YouTube is up more than 40% y/y. And for Youtube top 100 advertisers, the average spend per advertiser is up over 60% y/y.